Sweet Pea Fettuccine Carbonara Recipe
This Sweet Pea Fettuccine Carbonara recipe is the perfect blend between salty and sweet. The bacon adds a lot of flavor, and it’s actually mellowed by the sweet taste of the peas. The flavors in this dish really pop and it makes for a great dinner!
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
6 large egg yolks
12 ounces frozen peas
16 ounces fettuccine
12 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2″ pieces
2/3 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Mix Parmesan, egg yolks, 1 teaspoon salt and a generous amount of black pepper in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Cook the frozen peas according to package directions, and set aside.
4. Cook the fettuccine in the boiling water and reserve 1.5 cups of the pasta water before draining.
5. Cook the bacon in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until crisp (7-8 minutes.)
6. Drain off all but 4 tablespoons bacon fat and add red pepper flakes, garlic and cook for 1-minute.
7. Reduce the heat to medium low and add drained pasta and peas and toss until noodles and peas are well coated and mixed with the bacon.
8. Whisk 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water into the egg mixture, and quickly pour over pasta.
9. Toss gently to cook the eggs and make a creamy sauce.
10. Thin out sauce with pasta water to get your desired consistency.
11. Garnish with parsley and extra Parmesan.
We preface all of our wine pairing suggestions by letting you know that it’s really a matter of personal taste. While we do offer our opinions and why we selected a specific varietal, there is no right or wrong answer when pairing a wine with your dinner.
This Sweet Pea Fettuccine Carbonara recipe has strong flavors which goes great with a light red wine. I would suggest a Sangiovese, as the dry cherry flavors help to cut through the salty bacon in the dish. Follow the link to our wine review site to find our favorite Sangiovese wines-LetsHaveWine.com