Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
This Greek Chicken Souvlaki recipe has great flavor and is easy to make. The term Souvlaki means ‘meat on skewers’ but it often refers to the actual meal (a warm pita, with marinated meat and topped with Tzatziki. This recipe requires you to marinate the chicken for 2-24 hours and you finish it on the grill. Try this recipe as it will soon be one of your favorites!
2.5 pounds boneless chicken breasts
10 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
Juice of 1 lemon
2 bay leaves
1. Start by making the marinade in a food processor.
2. Add garlic, oregano, rosemary, paprika, salt, pepper, olive oil, white wine and lemon juice to food processor and pulse until it’s well combined.
3. Cut chicken into chunks approximately 1.5 inch pieces and place in a freezer bag.
4. Add bay leaves to the chicken.
5. Coat chicken with marinade, making sure that each piece is evenly coated.
6. Refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
7. After chicken has marinated, add to presoaked wooden skewers.
8. Grill skewers for 8-12 minutes over direct medium heat (350-450 degrees.)
9. Serve with Pita Bread, hummus, Tzatziki, olives, tomatoes and onion.
We preface all of our wine pairing suggestions by letting you know that it’s really a matter of personal taste. While we do offer our opinions and why we selected a specific varietal, there is no right or wrong answer when pairing a wine with your dinner.
This Greek Chicken Souvlaki recipe has a strong flavor that makes the chicken pop! To tame down the citrus elements I choose a Sauvignon Blanc, since it has more minerality and more of an earth taste to it. This way it accompanies the Souvlaki rather than trying to compete for the most boisterous flavor. Follow the link to our wine review site to find our favorite Sauvignon Blanc wines-LetsHaveWine.com